Monday, April 12, 2010

Turkey Sloppy Joes

My boys LOVE pasta with ground turkey marinara sauce. I wasn't in the mood for pasta and wanted to make something different with the ground turkey that was in my fridge. I was happy to find a post for cheesy sloppy joes. The only time I've eaten a sloppy joe was at a friend's house when I was little. I remember loving the sauce and the messiness of it all. I love tomatoes and all things ketchupy so I'm surprised I didn't make these sooner. 

I made homemade rolls for the sloppy joes and a cheese sauce to top it off. My fam gobbled these up! I'll definitely make these again soon. This was easy to prepare and delicious, too!

Delicious.

Turkey Sloppy Joes with Cheese Sauce

Yield: 4-5 servings

Ingredients:

  • 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 4 hamburger buns (I made rolls)
  • cheese sauce (recipe below...optional)

sauce:
  • 1- 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 tbs white wine vinegar
  • 1 tbs worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tbs garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. In a bowl, mix sauce ingredients and set aside.
  2. Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Cook onions and ground turkey until cooked through. 
  3. Add sauce mixture to skillet and stir well. Bring to boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 mins or till sauce reduces to a thick consistency.
  4. While meat/sauce mixture is simmering, make cheese sauce. See recipe below...
  5. Scoop sloppy joe mixture onto bun, top with cheese sauce and serve with salad. ENJOY!
Source: Life's Ambrosia

----

The cheese sauce was yummy and a nice addition to the sloppy joes. This cheese sauce would also be great over chicken or as a dip with veggies. Good stuff! Because the sauce was creamy and white, Hubby was a little worried about what it was composed of. I told him it was cauliflower cheese and the boys played along. It was fun to watch him sniff the cheese repeatedly and try small tastes off his fork. He is NOT a cauliflower fan, and though this cheese sauce had no cauliflower in it whatsoever, he was wary of what was in it. The next time I make this, I will try adding a little pureed cauliflower in lieu of cream cheese. It'd probably be the same consistency and be a healthier alternative to the cheese sauce. :) I'll update this post when I make the real cauliflower cheese sauce. Muwahahahhahaha!

Cheese Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbs butter
  • 1 c milk
  • 1 tbs flour
  • 2 oz cream cheese
  • 3 c shredded cheddar cheese (I used 2 c jack cheese)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. In sauce pan, melt butter over med heat till melted. Then whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 mins.
  2. Add milk and stir well.
  3. Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese and cook until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Keep warm over low heat until ready to eat.
Source: Adapted from Life's Ambrosia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails