Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Oatmeal Fudge Bars

Several years ago, we were visiting Monterey and we popped into a vegan cafe. I wasn't experienced with egg-free baking at that time so I was excited to get something special for Son #2. Unfortunately, his muffin was dry and tasted awful. I've never eaten cardboard but that muffin was exactly what I imagined cardboard would taste like. :(

Since then, I've learned how to bake egg-free goodies and the treats turn out pretty tasty. :) I also found The Food Allergy Mama a few months ago and she posts recipes for dairy, egg and nut-free goodies. Son #2 can have dairy so I use milk and/or butter but the dairy-free versions are great when I bake for my vegan friends.

I was in the mood for chocolate and I needed something rich and satisfying. These oatmeal fudge bars were fudgey and fantastic! This was exactly what I needed for my chocolate fix. It was a hit with the fam and easy to make. I'll definitely make this again when the wicked chocolate craving comes back in full force.

The cooling period is the hardest part of baking.

Fudge-ilicious!

SO delicious!

Oatmeal Fudge Bars

Yield: 16 squares from 8x8" dish

Ingredients:

oatmeal layer:
  • 1/2 c shortening
  • 1 c brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I omitted)
  • 2 c quick cook oats
fudge layer:
  • 1/2 c flour
  • 1/4 c sugar
  • 1 1/2 c chocolate chips
  • 4 tbs butter
  • 1 tbs water
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray 8x8" dish with baking spray. Set aside.
  2. Make oatmeal layer. In mixer bowl with paddle attachment, mix shortening and sugar till light and fluffy.
  3. Add applesauce and vanilla. Mix well.
  4. Add flour and baking soda to shortening mixture. Combine thoroughly.
  5. Stir in oats.
  6. Set aside 1 c oatmeal mixture for topping.
  7. Spread remaining oatmeal mixture into prepared baking dish. Spread well and pat down.
  8. Make fudge layer. In microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter in 30 second increments till chocolate has melted. Stir well before microwaving for another 30 seconds. 
  9. Add water and stir till combined.
  10. Add flour and sugar to chocolate and stir till thoroughly combined. 
  11. Spread fudge layer over oatmeal layer.
  12. Spread remaining oatmeal mixture over fudge layer.
  13. Bake 20-25 mins or till lightly browned.
  14. Cool completely before cutting into squares. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails