Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Swiss Chard Soup

The easiest way to get my fam to eat leftover meat is to make soup. It's a great way to use up lots of veggies, too. Soup is so versatile and tastes different every time. We love the smorgasbord of flavors from the various veggies I throw in the pot. Great stuff, for sure!

I had a lot of organic swiss chard so I used quite a bit in the soup. I also had organic rosemary from my CSA basket so I added a sprig to the soup and let it simmer for an hour. The rosemary added a new taste that my fam isn't used to. It was really tasty!

Yummy!

Swiss Chard Soup with White Beans

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
  • 4 c beef stock (use veggie or garlic broth for vegan soup)
  • 1/2 c orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 c red onion, diced
  • 1 sprig fresh rosemary
  • 2 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1- 15 oz can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed (or bean of choice)
  • 1-2 c beef, bite-sized pieces (sub cubed firm tofu for vegan soup)
  • 4 c Swiss chard, chiffonade
  • hot sauce, shredded cheese or parmesan cheese, optional 
Directions:
  1. Heat beef stock over med-high heat and bring to boil.
  2. Turn down heat to med. and add veggies, rosemary, garlic, white beans and beef. Turn heat down to low and simmer for 1-2 hrs.
  3. Add swiss chard and simmer for 10-15 mins or until chard is cooked down. 
  4. Serve with salad and/or rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails