Friday, April 16, 2010

German-Style Potato Salad

In my beautiful basket of organic fruits and veggies were 6 small Yukon gold potatoes. When I got the email from South Coast Farms with recipes for the basket contents, I was pleased to see one for potato salad. I like potato salad but only eat it at summer picnics. Since Son #2 can't eat mayonnaise due to his egg allergy, I was happy to get a mayo-free potato salad recipe. Yippee! He's not a potato fan (he's probably the only kid that doesn't like french fries) but I try to expand his potato palate when I can and my challenge is to find a potato dish he likes. No success as of yet but I'll keep trying. He probably thinks they're too bland as he loves flavorful fruits and veggies. 

Hubby really liked the potato salad. The addition of the white wine vinegar gave the potato salad that sour taste that is common with German potato salad. Unfortunately, I didn't have bacon that's also typical in German-style potato salad but this modified version was still tasty. 

I overcooked the potatoes a bit so when I mixed the wet ingredients into the potatoes, it became a bit of a mashed salad. It wasn't intentional but I liked it a lot. It still had some bite-sized chunks of potatoes yet also had a creamy, soft texture from the mashiness. Now that I think of it, the texture was very much like that of Japanese potato salad. We liked this. :)

Yum.

German Potato Salad

Yield: 4-5 servings

Ingredients:
  • 6-8 small Yukon gold potatoes (1 1/2 - 2 1/4 inches in diameter)
  • 1 tbs Dijon mustard
  • 1/8 c white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil (I used 1/4 c)
  • 4 strips bacon, cooked and chopped (I omitted as I didn't have bacon)
  • 1 tsp fresh rosemary (I used a handful of chopped parsley instead)
  • 1/2 c yellow onion, diced (I used red onion)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Boil a stockpot of water.
  2. Peel and cube potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Boil for 8-10 mins or until fork tender yet firm to the bite. Drain and set aside.
  3. Mix remaining ingredients in med. bowl.
  4. Pour wet ingredients over potatoes and toss gently.
  5. Great served warm or cold. ENJOY! 
Source: Adapted from South Coast Farms' recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails